Fiber optics need fast, consistent and reliable cleaning for optimal operation. The selection of a cleaning fluid is a complex trade-off of many attributes: cost, storage, handling, purity, actual cleaning ability, drying time and worker safety to name a few. Modern, nonflammable fluids are the best choice to ensure a clean surface that is optimized for ultra-high speed and ultra-capacity fiber optics.
Technicians should seek out cleaning fluids that have the following characteristics:
- Engineered specifically for cleaning fiber
- Packaged in sealed, nonrefillable containers (to prevent cross-contamination and spills)
- Nonflammable, for maximum safety
- Nontoxic, with a good environmental profile
- Fast evaporation
- No residues
- Do not contain water
- Air-transportable as nonhazardous
The Sticklers® Fiber Optic Splice and Connector Cleaner Fluid (#MCC-POC03M) is the leading product in this class. The Viavi CleanBlast Fluid is an excellent choice as well. Both are available from your Sticklers distributors.